Saturday 26 March 2011

introduction

Well  I couldn't wait to get my hands on in this project, simply because I was looking forward to doing visual effects and editing plus getting a chance to use green-screen technology for the first time. But first we had to get in to teams, so I joined with Lloyd to make up a team. The biggest problem for us was coming up with a narrative for the project. Fortunately when I was browsing youtube when I came across this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUGPa_t8700&feature=related. I finished watching the clip I was speechless and even more surprising is that I actually had the DVD of this film which I bought some time back and it was called The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford ....Well isn't that a tongue-twister. However at the time I didn't realized how amazing this film was and how it was shot.  I have to mention that the score of the movie - by Nick Cave was awesome and is very well choreographed to match the scenes. Not to forget Roger Deakins the cinematographer is a genius. Till this film I nerve came a cross this legend and his body of work also the term cinematography and how it affected cinema as a whole.  This unit was a real eye opener for me. I knew then and there I had to make something special so this was our turning point.

The next day I came-up with a storyboard for our narrative, and watching that clip on you tube I knew that I needed to do something western.  I was so captured by the character -(Jessie James- the outlaw) played by Brad Pitt I wanted to imitate him for  my video. I knew from the beginning that this character will be good for visual effect since this character can not go without a gun. My  aim was purely to focus on effects,  critical appreciation for editing  and the use of dramatic camera angles to capture the drama the suspense the essence of the plot. Well the plot wasn't exactly complex however the question was how can i make it appealing. Well basically the plot was initially about a guy shooting a beer-can using a pistol. My initial thought was that we  definitely can execute a stranded realistic visual effect for this clip, but my question was how can I make it artistic and different. So I started researching about arts style and films. I came a cross possible contestants for my video out-look. first one was chiaroscuro technique used by the masters of post- Renaissance  period such as Caravaggio and Rembrandt. Also I started to look at film styles alike film-noir from the 40s. What I really liked about these styles of techniques is that literally it compress the stage the setting to give more light in to the main character or the  main object in the scene  which forces the ordinance to see what you want them to see and is  undoubtedly intriguing  for the viewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment